History of Huguenot Springs
Huguenot Springs has a long and significant history. The 12 acre agricultural property is among the lands along the James River inhabited by the Monacan Indians and granted to French Huguenot refugees by William Byrd in 1701, in the area known as Manakintowne.
The first coal mining activity in the U.S. took place in the Manakintowne area, and predated the mines at Midlothian. In the 19th century, as mining activity moved west, the Mid-Lothian Coal Mining Company and investors built a three story hotel and 12 cottages on the site and began promoting it as Huguenot Springs.
Natural springs provided a summer respite for city dwellers. During the Civil War, Huguenot Springs was conscripted into service as a hospital for wounded Confederate soldiers.
The footprint of the 1849 hotel which was destroyed by fire in 1890 is outlined by a low wall of old bricks behind the existing house. In the 1930s two of the original cottages were relocated and joined together to form the existing main house on the property. Three other cottages have survived, two of which are currently located on the property.
Huguenot Springs continues to be a place of respite, recreation and gathering.